When travelling with a ship
Learn your rights and obligations when traveling by boat to avoid to be frustrated at the harbor this summer.
The summer in Greece the ship is the most common means of transport. For many of us, however, it is synonymous with suffering and problems. That is why we need to know our rights and obligations.
When using the means of transport, we must be at least one hour before departure at the boarding station. If we do not anticipate the departure of the ship, we are not entitled to a refund of the ticket, since we are responsible for the non-timely attendance at the boarding station.
If we want, for any reason, to cancel our trip we should know that
• Phone cancellations can not be made
• We will have to present the ticket at the company offices at least 24 hours before departure. In this case, the companies offer an open ticket that the passenger can use for up to 12 months after canceling the trip.
• Otherwise, the law provides for 50% of your value to be returned to you (if cancellation is not done in good time, then you are not entitled to either the open ticket or the refund).
• The above applies if the form of the ticket is altered or destroyed by negligence.
In case we lose our ticket, we will have to buy a new one to travel. We then have to declare the loss in writing, indicating the date of the trip, the route and the number of the lost ticket, the number of the new ticket we bought and a photocopy of it. If the lost ticket is not found in the records of the company – as they have traveled within 12 months of the date of filing the application – a free ticket of equal value will be awarded to the lost.
If our ship is delayed, we are entitled to cover the cost of accommodation and meals. We can also cancel our ticket and ask for our money to be returned, as well as claiming damages, to civilian courts if we have suffered excessive suffering or damage.
Outside a ship but with a ticket
If we stay off-board, even though we have “cut off” a ticket due to overbooking, we immediately notify the local port authority. The port authority will call on the prosecutor, who may prosecute, against the agent who issued the ticket and against the shipowner, as well as against the master in the event of a transfer of over-passengers. In addition to criminal penalties, the port authority may impose an administrative fine, and in extreme cases it may be waived by the Secretary of Merchant Marine, the feasibility of routing the ship. In the event that we are closed, with a cabin and we find our position busy, we can file a complaint to the port authorities because the double cabin booking is considered as overbooking.
For your complaints
During the voyage, passengers should, for any complaint, contact the master or the ship’s master. After the end of the voyage, the passenger may contact the port authorities or shipowner. The latter is not responsible for any delay or change in the route if this is due to bad weather or to the order of the Department of Merchant Shipping, The ship is in a sea area where a wreck has occurred.
If we transport our car with the ship, we are responsible for loading and unloading the ship. If, during boarding or disembarking, there is a conflict with another car, we need to know that it is not covered by the insurance companies. If, however, our car suffers some damage, from the master’s handling of the ship while it is loaded, we are entitled to compensation from the shipowner.
High value items
Finally, if we transfer large sums of money, valuables or other valuables, we are able to hand them over to the ship’s accounting department for safekeeping. If they are stolen, we are entitled to compensation equal to their value.
Observance of market-based provisions
In stores operating on board vessels (canteens, bars, restaurants, etc.), the same applies to similar stores in dry market conditions. These provisions concern in particular:
• The existence of posted price lists on prominent points clearly indicating all the items offered by each store and their disposal prices.
• Cashier receipts with the values listed in the price lists.
• The indication of the retail retail prices on the packaging of bottled water and beverages produced and bottled in Greece.
• Available on the basis of Nos. 16/03 AD prices of the following beverages: coffee (Greek, instant, filter, cappuccino, espresso, frando), tea, chocolate and natural juices and the prohibition to collect an increased price if they are differentiated (double Greek or espresso coffee) . As a coffee, tea, chocolate drink and juice, it is meant for those standing or passing customers self-served through the SELF-SERVICE system.
• The prohibition on placing on the market of products that have elapsed on their final consumption date or without indication (final consumption date, manufacturer / packager, place of production / packaging, etc.) on the packaging.
• To ban food portions of less than the specified weight and to prepare food with non-authorized materials and articles.
Rights for four-way passengers
According to the law, pets are not allowed to stay in all the internal spaces of the ship, yet our favorite pet can travel:
• Only on the deck and under our personal supervision.
• In special areas – cages that exist on all ships.
• You should have the animal’s health booklet with you, while the dogs should wear a gag.